Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sunday, Laundry Day

We'll be staying in today, it's our laundry day. Trust me it needed to be done, it's hard to believe how many towels two people go through in a week.

Sues Daughter stopped in to visit yesterday so we didn't make it to the antique/craft shop like I'd planned.

Sue did go visit a friend with me. She really enjoys seeing old friends but I think she'd rather they come to our house because she is concerned about having an accident. That happens sometimes because of her having Crohn's Disease, we've been dealing with that for about seven years now, it seems to be getting worse. She used to see old friends a couple of times a week and talk to them on the phone daily. All that changed after she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Now they talk on the phone a little bit, when she calls them. None of them (Except family) have stopped in since Sue had them over for my birthday. Three of the guest were leaving for an annual week long trip to Canada the next day. I thought they'd stop by and tell her all about the trip when they got back. That's what has happened in past years. So far she hasn't seen or heard a thing from them this time. I think about talking to them about how their absence hurts Sue. I'm afraid that if I do I might make them angry. In a case like that if word of the conversation somehow get back to Sue she might be upset with me. I feel a little stuck here, got any ideas?

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

4 comments:

  1. I'm hoping your friends do come around, recognizing that Sue will do well having others to talk with. If she knows they did not call or come by, that means she's aware of them so why don't they? You ask for advice, maybe you could invite them over, asking if they have pictures they'd like to share and how Sue would enjoy that?
    I'm praying for you, David.......you're a good man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She used to see old friends a couple of times a week and talk to them on the phone daily. All that changed after she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

    This is tough, but typical.

    You might follow Z's suggestion and issue a few invites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard many say that old friends become scarce after an Alzheimer's diagnosis. Some feel the old friends can't stand to watch their friend slip away. I feel that is a sorry excuse. If they were true friends you'd think they would want to be there to support them.

    I'm going to ask some of them over this weekend. We'll tell them we haven't been to Canada since about 1975 and we'd like to see some pictures.

    Thanks for stopping by the support/suggestions mean so much to both of us.

    God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tuesday evening an old friend and his Daughter stopped in unexpected just to see how we were doing. Another friend did the same thing this afternoon. This evening Sues Brother was near by and called from his cell phone to see if we were home and up to company.

    I like that, no need for an invitation they wanted to make sure we were OK.

    God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

    ReplyDelete