Monday, August 24, 2009

Went To Bed Early

Sue is still able to do the majority of the cooking. Tonight while fixing dinner she ask what we will do when she can't do it any longer. There was no response when I told her I guess we'd have to eat what I cooked. I don't know if the silence was an insult or if she was trying to come up with a better idea.

She went to bed early tonight. Tomorrow will be a big day. Shes spending the morning with two of our three Great-Grandchildren, I'll pick her up after work four hours later. She enjoys her time with the Great-Grandchildren. She fears the day that she won't know them. Both of us do, they are two and three years old. There will be no way to explain their Me Me (Sue) not knowing who they are to them. For their sake I pray that day doesn't come until they have time to develop more fond memories of Me Me (Before she got sick) that they can carry for the rest of their lives.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

5 comments:

  1. My Uncle John developed AD in his 70s. For quite a while, I can't recall how long, he was able to converse about the future and AD itself. During that time, he and his wife made caregiving plans for the future. Also during that time, his children and grandchildren visited very, very often. Later, when he didn't recognize people, the visitors didn't seem to matter to him any longer. Of course, his wife was with him every single day! She oversaw his care.

    The scenario has been similar with my mother-in-law. As I mentioned in another comment, she's in the final stages, meaning that she takes interest in nothing now.

    Tell Sue that, in my experience, even young children can understand quite a bit about AD. Often, children are not as emotionally devastated when the later stages come. Perhaps that is because children are more accepting of life as it is. For us adults, of course, we worry a lot more.

    I think that my mother-in-law didn't enter the final stages for some 15 years because she was the accepting type too. We enjoyed the quality time we had with her during those years.

    May God comfort Sue and be generous toward her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sues morning plans fell through she didn't get to go see the Great-Grandchildren, but they came to our house to visit this evening. That gave the kids a chance to see/play with our dogs too.

    AOW,

    Sue was really happy to get your message. Our Great-Grandchildren mean so much to her, (Us)she (We) can't stand the thought of them being hurt in any way. Your thoughts have been a help.

    Sue went to bed at 10:PM. I guess getting up early and spending time with the Great-Grandchildren wore her out. Maybe they'll have to come over more often.

    God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that my words have been of help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom enjoyed a few years with her two grandchildren while she was still in the early stages of Alzheimers. Once she started getting worse, one child became a bit scared and distant to her while the other child embraced and loved her just the same or more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pray ours will always love Sue. When Sue and I were caring for Sues Grandmother one of our Granddaughters (I think she was about 9 at the time) came to visit. When ask if she would play some little game with Grandma to keep her busy she said she would. Later she said she wouldn't play with Grandma anymore because she cheats.

    God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

    ReplyDelete