Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Am I Getting Worse?

A while back an article in our local paper told about a new insert magazine "Kin" that will soon be a part of their Sunday addition. The magazine will have articles about family issues and activities. The publisher ask for suggestions. I told them that Sue and her Mother both have Alzheimer's and that she had lost her Grandmother and a Great Aunt to the disease. We believe her Great Grandmother also had Alzheimer's but that was never diagnosed. Today I got a response from the papers health reporter. She said that she wants to do an article on Alzheimer's in November, Alzheimer's Awareness Month. That still has to be approved by her editor.

When I shared the above with Sue she was happy to hear that someone with the paper planned on doing an article on Alzheimer's. Then she ask, "Am I getting worse?". She said she thought she was doing OK but she thought others might see something else. I did not lie, I told her I see her have good days and bad and that so far the good out number the bad. That seemed to ease her mind. This has got to be a rough time for her. She sees what it has done to her Mother so far. She watched it take her Great Aunt. We were her Grandmothers care givers for five years. Now shes told she has this devastating disease. I'm not so sure I could handle it if I were in her place.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

4 comments:

  1. How sad. Poor Sue. It must be so devastating to know that you are going down a horrible path you've seen others travel. I couldn't get Elbert to talk about his disease. His attitude (as it was in his entire life)... it is what it is and you deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for you and Sue. It is great you two can talk about it.But so sad you have too. I hope she is on some good meds. to slow it down. The earlier the better. They do work. Good luck. And God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They had Sue on Razadyne for a short while, it made her sick. It may have been because she has Crohn's Disease too. Now she is taking Exelon and Namenda. With out checking the calendar to make sure I'm going to say her next check up is the 28th. I think that it's great that she can still understand what's going on and be a part of her treatment. Some times she ask me to remind her of what was said after we get home. I don't really know if that's because she forgot or if she wants to see if she understood what was said.

    She has been doing great today other than some complaints about her arthritis bothering her. We both have that problem and for the last two nights it's got down into the mid to upper 40's. That makes me think that deer season can't be to far off. Sue doesn't like the idea of shooting Bambi but she does enjoy deer chili.

    God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh David, it was one of those moments that make you stop breathing. As a caregiver, seeing them recognize what they have, I think is as scary for us as it is for them :-(

    ReplyDelete