Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day, 2009

Sue did have her just before bed coffee, and she woke up without a headache, or problems with her Crohn's. Of course she was awake longer than on most nights. Might have been the coffee or a real good night for SyFy and Fashion Design TV. She got up this morning and took her medicine as usual. When she made her morning call (Part of the daily routine) to her Mother (A widow with Alzheimer's) she found out Mom's house is going on the market tomorrow. She is moving in with her Son Mark until spring then she is going into a care facility where she will have her own little apartment. Being the owner of a pickup and a moving dolly I fail to see any logic in moving twice in a short time period but that is between Mom and Mark.

Sues Mother moving causes me to think of something I don't care to think about. We have talked about it. What happens if/when the day comes that I can no longer take care of Sue at home? Do I continue to live in our house or throw my hands in the air and walk away? Sue is concerned because I did that once before. Years ago I was to marry a lady that developed Lou Gehrig's Disease. After she passed away I found there were to many memories in the house, I didn't want to be there. I gave most of our possessions to her family and signed the house over to her parents to use as a rental to recover some of their losses from helping get her to out of town doctors. I've promised Sue I would not do that again. Life without her around would be strange/lonely, but I intend to keep that promise.

I hope your having a great Labor Day. Ours is to be a quiet one at home. I'm thinking this would be a good day to grill some Bratwurst but I could say that on most any day.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

3 comments:

  1. OK, now Sue tells me she has quit eating things she shouldn't. The brats have too much fat. So she'll be eating grilled chicken breast,that's OK I can eat a package of five brats in an evening, easy, no problem. We'll see how this not eating things she shouldn't goes.

    God Bless America, God Save The Republic

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, may I ask how old your wife is? I see you have great-grandchildren so am wondering how old Sue and her mother are.

    Yes, hard to think about the "after" part. I guess that's why caretakers are always told to try their hardest to live in the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,

    Sues Mother is 77. Sue and I are both 59. Our 17 year old Granddaughter started her family at a very young age. Something we weren't happy about but we love them just the same. The Great Grand Children are 3 years old 2 years old and the youngest is 7 months.

    Living in the moment is good advice, thanks for the reminder.

    God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

    ReplyDelete